The area of biomedical technology has evolved rapidly in recent decades, a situation that has improved the quality of health services by offering different solutions. Digitization has made it possible to replace manual devices with more efficient electronic devices that simplify medical control and favor telemedicine.
What are the devices that can improve patient care?
The intelligent electronic stethoscope is a pioneering device that improves the quality of care and provides a solvency image thanks to:
Accuracy in diagnosis.
- Amplifies the sound. The electronic stethoscope allows you to clearly hear the sounds of auscultation. It is beneficial for the doctor's diagnosis both in the case of weak sounds and in the case of doctors with hearing loss.
- View the phonogram. The doctor can connect via Wi-Fi the electronic stethoscope with his smartphone (and/or Tablet) and while listening to the auscultation he can view the phonogram to contrast his impressions with this double source of information.
- Pulmonary – Cardiac Filter. The practitioner can apply the electronic stethoscope filter that adapts to respiratory or heart sounds to pick up specific sounds. This feature facilitates and complements the examination of the patient.
The doctor can connect the digital stethoscope to a loudspeaker and share the auscultation with another colleague to obtain a second opinion.
Auscultation file in the clinical history. The doctor can save the patient's auscultation in the digital clinical history, which allows him to faithfully consult the patient's evolution in each medical visit.
Many cardiologists' offices are still equipped with EKG devices packed with wires connected to a monitor to take readings of heart activity. Today these machines have given way to portable pocket gadgets that can be easily used anywhere. There are devices that detect six types of arrhythmias, bradycardia, tachycardia and several other disorders, and can be easily connected to a smartphone to monitor the patient's condition.
Ultrasound devices are advanced devices designed to perform diagnostic imaging; however, this sophistication does not necessarily translate into large devices.
Currently there are portable ultrasound devices that allow diagnostic imaging tests to be carried out outside the hospital setting and with high reliability. Simply pair the device with a PC or even a smartphone to get high-resolution images in real time.
Portability makes it possible for ultrasound to be a point-of-care (POC) diagnostic test. This means that the test can be carried out at the patient's bedside, where care is actually provided, rather than in a medical laboratory or imaging room.
The introduction of the portable ultrasound device has several proven benefits, including the following:
- Diagnostic Accuracy: Studies have shown that in one in three patients, the addition of the portable ultrasound device to the routine clinical exam has changed, added, or confirmed an important diagnosis. This makes the use of ultrasound devices indispensable for diagnostic purposes.
- Faster Diagnosis and Treatment – Because a bedside ultrasound device facilitates workflow, not only can a faster diagnosis be made, but treatment can be started immediately. This improves patient outcomes.
- Reducing the need for invasive tests: By helping to confirm a diagnosis simply and quickly.
Undoubtedly, with the digital revolution, the doctor can easily access the necessary information of each patient, who, through the use of these devices, receives more personalized attention.